Wild Rice with Pecans
- Yield: 6 servings
- 1cup uncooked wild rice
- 5 1/2cups chicken broth or chicken stock
- 1cup chopped pecans
- 1cup golden raisins
- -- Grated rind of 1 large orange
- 1/3cup fresh orange juice
- 1/4cup olive oil
- -- Thinly sliced scallions
- -- Chopped fresh mint, to taste
- 1 1/2teaspoons salt
- Rinse the wild rice under cold water. Bring to a boil with the chicken broth in a medium heavy saucepan. Reduce the heat ans simmer for 30 to 45 minutes or just until the rice is tender. Drain in a colander lined with a thin towel. Combine with the pecans, raisins, orange rind, orange juice, olive oil, scallions, mint and salt in a bowl and mix gently. Adjust the seasonings. Let stand for 2 hours to develop the flavors. Serve at room temperature.
Recipe reprinted with permission from The Junior League of Rhode Island’s A Tasteful Reflection of Historic Rhode Island (Providence, Rhode Island, 1995).