Wild Rice with Chives
- Yield 6 to 8 servings
This simple rice recipe makes an excellent side dish.
- 1 cup uncooked wild rice
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) butter or margarine
- -- salt to taste
- 1/2 cup slivered almonds
- 2 tablespoons thinly sliced chives or green onions
- 1 -- (8-ounce) can mushrooms, drained
- 3 cups chicken broth
- Rinse and drain the rice. Melt the butter in a large skillet. Add the rice, almonds, chives and mushrooms. Saute for 20 minutes or until the almonds are golden brown. Spoon into an ungreased 1 1/2-quart baking dish.
- Bring the chicken broth to a boil in a saucepan. Pour over the rice. Cover the dish tightly and bake at 325F for 1 1/2 hours or until the liquid is absorbed. Serve with poultry, fish or meat dishes.
- You may use canned chicken broth in this recipe or dissolve 3 chicken bouillon cubes in 3 cups boiling water if preferred.
Recipe reprinted with permission from The Bermuda Junior Service League’s Island Thyme (Hamilton HM FX, Bermuda, 2005).