Wild Rice with Barley, Snow Peas and Raisins
- Yield 8 to 12 servings
- 2 (14-ounce) cans vegetable broth
- 3/4 cup uncooked wild rice, rinsed and drained
- 1/2 cup quick-cooking barley
- 1 cup fresh snow peas, cut into thirds
- 1 cup golden raisins
- 3/4 cup sliced green onions (about 6 medium)
- 2 teaspoons grated orange zest
- 1/2 cup orange juice
- 1/4 cup chopped mint or cilantro
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon curry powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Bring broth to a boil in a Dutch oven. Add rice and return to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer, covered, for 20 minutes.
- Add barley and cook, covered, until barley is tender, about 12 minutes; drain well.
- Return rice mixture to the Dutch oven and stir in remaining ingredients. Cook for 2 minutes until thoroughly heated. Serve at room temperature.
Recipe by Marlene Jensen, Rochester, Minn.