Wild Rice Vegetable Pilaf
- Yield: 4 to 5 servings
- 1/4cup wild rice, rinsed
- 1cup cold water
- 1cup long grain white rice
- 2cups boiling chicken broth or water
- 2tablespoons butter
- 1teaspoon salt
- 1/3cup minced onion
- 1/3cup minced celery
- 1/3cup minced carrots
- Grease a 3-quart baking dish. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Bring the wild rice and water to a boil in a small saucepan. Boil for 5 to 10 minutes or until the rice softens. Remove from the heat. Let stand, covered.
- Combine the white rice, chicken broth, butter and salt in the prepared baking pan, stirring until the butter melts. Add the onion, celery, carrots and wild rice, including any unabsorbed liquid; mix well.
- Bake, tightly covered, for 50 minutes. Fluff the rice with a fork. Bake, tightly covered, for 10 minutes longer or until the rice is tender and the liquid is totally absorbed.
- Turn off the heat and let the rice stand in the oven for 10 to 15 minutes. Fluff the rice again before serving. Garnish as desired.
Recipe reprinted with permission from the Palo Alto Auxiliary for Children, Tastes, Tales and Traditions (the Palo Alto auxiliary for Chidren, 2005)