Wild Rice Soup
- Yield: 8 to 10 servings
We like this wild rice soup and it is a big hit where ever I've taken it
- 2/3cup uncooked wild rice, rinsed
- 1cup finely grated potatoes
- 1medium onion, minced
- 2cups water
- 2tablespoons butter
- 1quart milk
- 2tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 1/4teaspoons salt
- 1/4teaspoon pepper
- 1teaspoon parsley flakes
- 8ounces processed cheese, such as Velveeta
- 10slices bacon, browned, drained and crumbled
- Cover wild rice with water in a medium-size saucepan. Simmer over low heat about 40 minutes until rice is barely tender, taking care not to overcook. Drain and set aside.
- Combine water and butter in a soup kettle. Add grated potatoes and minced onions. Reserving 1/4-cup milk, pour remaining milk into soup kettle. Stir often to avoid scorching. Add flour to remaining milk, and stir into kettle until soup is creamy and smooth in texture. Season with salt and pepper. Stir in rice, parsley flakes, cheese and bacon. Heat until cheese melts. Serves 8 to 10.
Tips From Our Test Kitchen: Add 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper if you prefer a spicier dish.
Recipe by Elaine Haussler, Holbrook, Nebraska