Wild Rice and Chicken Soup
- Yield 6 cups
No one will complain about leftovers when they're cleverly disguised in a tempting soup like this one. The wild rice soaks up the sherry and chicken broth in a decadent soup filled with tender chicken.
- 4 tablespoons (1/2 stick) light stick margarine
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 cup finely chopped peeled carrots
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 3 cups canned fat-free chicken broth
- 1 (6-ounce) package long-grain and wild rice
- 1 cup chopped cooked chicken or turkey
- 3 tablespoons sherry
- In a large pot, melt the margarine over medium heat and saute the onion and carrots until tender, about 5 minutes. Stir in the flour. Gradually add the broth and let the mixture come to a boil, stirring constantly.
- Meanwhile, prepare the rice according to package directions, omitting any oil and salt. Add the cooked rice and cooked chicken to the onions and carrots and simmer 5 minutes. Add the sherry. If the soup gets too thick, add more chicken broth or water. Boil 1 minute.