Wild Rice Chowder with Greens
- Yield 10 servings
We like kale in this soup because it’s hearty and chewy and stands up to the firm textured wild rice, but and kind of greens will do.
You can bypass whatever vegetables you don’t have in the house and skip the cheese. This is a great main dish soup. Just add bread and a salad.
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 2 ounces country ham, chopped
- 1 onion, chopped
- 3 carrots, chopped
- 1 stalk celery, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 cup uncooked wild rice
- 2 cups reduced-sodium chicken or beef broth
- 4 cups water
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 4 cups whole milk
- 2 ounces shredded Comté, Gruyère or Swiss cheese
- 2 ounces shredded Parmigiano Reggiano cheese
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 3 cups coarsely chopped fresh kale
- Combine first 6 ingredients (oil through garlic) in a large saucepan or Dutch oven. Sauté until browned, about 10 minutes. Add rice; sauté 2 minutes.
- Add broth and water. Simmer until rice is done, about 40 minutes.
- Combine flour with 2 cups milk, whisk well. Add to soup. Add remaining milk. Cook until soup is thickened, about 15 minutes. Add cheeses, salt and pepper; cook 5 minutes. Add kale; cook 5 minutes.