Wild Rice Breakfast Quiche
- Yield 8 servings
- Prep 15 mins
- Cook 35 mins
Cook wild rice for dinner and save the leftovers for this breakfast quiche.
- 10 slices turkey bacon or other bacon
- 1 (9- or 10-inch) prebaked pie crust
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 4 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Freshly ground pepper
- 1 cup whole milk or light cream
- 1 cup cooked wild rice
- 1 cup shredded Swiss cheese
- 1/4 cup minced green onions
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh dill
- Preheat oven to 425F.
- Fry bacon in a frying pan, drain and crumble.
- Brush the bottom of baked pie crust with mustard.
- Break eggs into a bowl and beat well with Worcestershire sauce, salt and pepper, and milk. Fold in bacon, rice, cheese, scallions and dill, mixing well. Pour into crust.
- Cover top of pie loosely with aluminum foil and bake for 10 minutes. Reduce heat to 325F and bake for 25 to 30 minutes longer or until a knife comes out clean when inserted into the center. Serve from the pan.
Reprinted with permission from Joan Nathan’s New American Cooking (Alfred A. Knopf, 2005).