Wild Rice Black-Eyed Pea Patties
- Yield 6 servings
Wild rice, black-eyed peas and breadcrumbs form delectable savory cakes.
- 1 (8-ounce) block lite silken tofu
- 2 tablespoons nutritional yeast
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 tablespoon hot sauce
- 2 cups cooked wild rice, cooled
- 1 (15-ounce) can of black-eyed peas, drained, rinsed and smashed
- 1/2 red onion, diced
- 1 to 1 1/2 cup whole-wheat breadcrumbs
- 1 tablespoon low-sodium soy sauce
- Salt and pepper
- Prepare a baking sheet with parchment or wax paper. Preheat the oven to 425F.
- In a blender or food processor, puree the silken tofu, soy sauce, nutritional yeast, garlic powder and hot sauce until smooth.
- In a large bowl mix together the tofu mixture, cooked wild rice, diced onion, smashed black-eyed peas and salt and pepper to taste.
- Add 1 cup whole-wheat breadcrumbs and mix to combine until ingredients come together. If needed, add more breadcrumbs 1 tablespoon at a time until mixture reaches a malleable consistency from which you can form balls.
- Shape into patties with your hands, using 1/4 cup of wild rice mixture per patty. Place on a lined baking sheet and press down to make flat. Bake in the oven for 10 minutes, flip, and bake for another 10 minutes on the other side.