Wild Rice and Sausage Casserole
- Yield 12 to 16 servings
This rice and sausage casserole is a great accompaniment to Cornish hens.
- 2 cups uncooked wild rice
- 1 pound bulk pork sausage
- 1 pound fresh mushrooms, sliced
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 1/4 cup flour
- 1/2 cup whipping cream
- 2 1/2 cups chicken broth
- 1/8 teaspoon each: oregano, thyme, marjoram, pepper
- -- Salt to taste
- 1/2 cup slivered almonds, toasted
- Place rice in saucepan with 4 cups salted water. Cover and simmer 15 to 20 minutes. Drain. Cook sausage until brown; remove from pan and drain. Saute mushrooms and onions in fat remaining in pan; remove and drain. Pour off most of fat in pan. Stir in flour. Add cream; whisk until smooth. Add chicken broth. Cook, stirring constantly until thickened. Season with oregano, thyme, marjoram, pepper and salt to taste. Combine rice, sausage, mushrooms, onion, and sauce. Pour into 3-qt casserole. Bake at 350F for 25 to 30 minutes. Sprikle almonds over top.
Recipe reprinted with permission from The Junior League of Chicago’s Soupcon II (Chicago, Illinois, 1982).