Wild Rice and Mushroom Bake
- Yield: 8 to 10 servings
- 1large onion, chopped
- 1-- green bell pepper, chopped
- 3-- stalks celery, chopped
- 2tablespoons butter or margarine
- 1cup sliced shiitake mushrooms
- 1cup sliced button mushrooms
- 2-- green onions, sliced
- 1 1/2cups wild rice
- 1/2cup whole-grain brown rice
- 3 1/2cups water, broth, or wine (or a combination of all three)
- 2-- chicken bouillon cubes dissolved in 1/4 cup water
- -- Black pepper
- Preheat the oven to 375F. Grease a 2-quart casserole.
- Saute the onion, bell pepper, and celery in the butter. Saute the mushrooms.
- Mix the green onion, wild rice, brown rice, water, bouillon, and pepper together in the prepared casserole.
- Bake, covered, for 1 1/2 hours or until most of the water is absorbed. Drain off any excess water and serve.
Recipe reprinted with permission from Wishbone Press and Promotions Inc. Talk Turkey to Me (Glen Ellyn, Illinois, 2006).