Wild Rice and Mushroom Bake
- Yield 8 to 10 servings
The combination of wild rice and whole-grain brown rice gives this stuffing a nutty texture and flavor.
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 -- green bell pepper, chopped
- 3 -- stalks celery, chopped
- 2 tablespoons butter or margarine
- 1 cup sliced shiitake mushrooms
- 1 cup sliced button mushrooms
- 2 -- green onions, sliced
- 1 1/2 cups wild rice
- 1/2 cup whole-grain brown rice
- 3 1/2 cups water, broth, or wine (or a combination of all three)
- 2 -- chicken bouillon cubes dissolved in 1/4 cup water
- -- Black pepper
- Preheat the oven to 375F. Grease a 2-quart casserole.
- Saute the onion, bell pepper, and celery in the butter. Saute the mushrooms.
- Mix the green onion, wild rice, brown rice, water, bouillon, and pepper together in the prepared casserole.
- Bake, covered, for 1 1/2 hours or until most of the water is absorbed. Drain off any excess water and serve.
Recipe reprinted with permission from Wishbone Press and Promotions Inc. Talk Turkey to Me (Glen Ellyn, Illinois, 2006).