Wild Rice and Barley Pilaf
- Yield 6 to 8 servings
Here’s a great way to try barley—hearty and simple with a fancy flair.
- 1 (6-ounce) package long-grain and wild rice mix (with seasoning packet)
- 1/2 cup pearl barley
- 3 cups fat-free canned vegetable (or chicken) broth
- 1 tablespoon margarine
- 1/3 cup sliced almonds, toasted
- Preheat oven to 325F.
- Mix the following in a large saucepan and bring to a boil: seasoning packet from rice mix, barley, broth and margarine.
- Reduce heat to a simmer and cook an additional 10 minutes. Transfer mixture to a large casserole dish, coated with nonstick cooking spray.
- Cover dish with foil and bake for 1 hour. After barley and rice are tender, fluff with a fork and stir in almonds.