Wild Rice and Barley Pilaf
- Yield 6 to 8 servings
Here’s a great way to try barley—hearty and simple with a fancy flair.
- 1 -- (6-ounce) package long-grain and wild rice mix (with seasoning packet)
- 1/2 cup pearl barley
- 3 cups fat-free canned vegetable (or chicken) broth
- 1 tablespoon margarine
- 1/3 cup sliced almonds, toasted
- Preheat oven to 325F.
- In large saucepan, combine rice, seasoning packet from rice mix, barley, broth and margarine. Bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat, cover and simmer 10 minutes. Spoon into a 1 1/2-quart casserole dish coated with nonstick cooking spray.
- Cover and bake 1 hour, or until rice and barley are tender and liquid is absorbed. Fluff rice mixture with fork; stir in almonds.