Wild Mushroom Cannelloni
- Yield 6 servings
A combination of shiitakes, portobellos, oyster, parcini and button mushrooms fills these cannelloni.
- 12 -- manicotti or cannelloni shells, uncooked
- 3 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon butter
- 1 tablespoon minced shallots
- 1 -- garlic clove, minced
- 1 pound diced mixed mushrooms including shiitakes, portobellos, oysters, porcini and buttons
- 1 cup sliced scallions
- 1 cup diced drained canned or jarred roasted red peppers
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh basil
- 1 1/2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
- 2 cups diced plum tomatoes (about 1/2 pound)
- 2 tablespoons shredded Parmesan cheese
- Cook pasta shells according to package directions. Drain and plunge into a pot of cold water; drain again. Heat 2 teaspoons oil in a nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add butter or margarine. When melted, add shallots and garlic; saute 1 minute. Add mushrooms and saute 5 minutes or until liquid evaporates. Add scallions, roasted peppers and vinegar; saute 2 minutes. Remove from heat and add parsley and basil. Cool for 15 minutes and add 1 cup mozzarella cheese.
- Spoon mixture into cooked shells and arrange in a 13 x 9 x 2-inch baking dish; brush lightly with remaining oil. Sprinkle shells with diced tomatoes and remaining 1/2 cup mozzarella cheese.
- Cover dish with foil and bake at 325F for 20 minutes or until heated through. Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese.