Wild Mushroom, Bean and Barley Soup Mix
- Yield: 48 cups
- Prep: 20 mins
- Cook: 0 mins
This mix makes 6 (1-pint) jars or 12 (1-cup) jars. Layered as described here, the mix is so pretty your friends may put off making it.
- 1tablespoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 1/2cups dried red lentils
- 6whole bay leaves
- 3cups pearled barley
- 1 1/2cups dried porcini and shiitake mushrooms, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 1/2cups dried yellow split peas
- 3/4cup mixed dried vegetables for soup (such as Just Corn, Just Peas and Just Tomatoes)
- 2tablespoons dried dill weed
- Place ½ teaspoon black pepper in the bottom of 6 (1-pint) jars. (If making in 8-ounce jars, half all ingredients.) Pour ¼ cup red lentils into each jar.
- Place one bay leaf in each jar, vertically against the inside of the glass, anchoring the tip in the lentils. Pour ½ cup barley into each jar, holding bay leaf against jar until the barley keeps it in place.
- Place ¼ cup mushrooms in each jar. Press down to eliminate air pockets.
- Pour ¼ cup split yellow peas in each jar, followed by a heaping 2 tablespoons of vegetables in each jar.
- Top each jar with 1 teaspoon dill weed, and place lids tightly on jars. Makes 6 (1-pint) jars, each jar serves 8.
To make the soup:
- Combine 1 pint soup mix, 4 cups water and 2 cups vegetable broth in a saucepan over medium-high heat. Bring to a boil. Stir well, cover, reduce heat and simmer 45 minutes. Stir in 2 more cups vegetable broth and 1 teaspoon salt.
- Bring back to a boil, reduce heat and simmer 40 to 50 minutes, until barley and peas are tender.
Recipe by Crescent Dragonwagon.
Nutritional Info *per serving
- Calories 110
- Fat 0g
- Cholesterol 0mg
- Sodium 25mg
- Potassium 520mg
- Carbohydrate 22g
- Fiber 4g
- Protein 5g