Wild Blueberry Chutney
- Yield: 32 servings
- Prep: 20 mins
- Cook: 30 mins
- 2tablespoons olive oil
- 1small yellow onion, minced
- 1tablespoon grated ginger
- 2cups wild, frozen blueberries
- 1cup red seedless grapes
- 2tablespoons sugar
- 1-- bay leaf
- 1-- cinnamon stick
- -- Zest of 1 lemon, white pith removed (cut in large strips with a small sharp knife)
- 2tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 4teaspoons salt to taste
*Serving Suggestion: Serve with whole grain bread or toast top with toasted walnut halves.
Heat oil over medium heat in a medium saucepan. Add onion and ginger and cook until soft. Add all remaining ingredients except vinegar and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer until mixture thickens and reduces, about 30 minutes.
When chutney has thickened, stir in vinegar and season to taste with salt. Allow to cool and remove bay leaf, cinnamon and lemon zest. Store tightly covered in the refrigerator.
Makes about 2 cups.
Recipe Courtesy of Chef Jamie Lauren of Absinthe Brasserie and Bar, San Francisco