Wild Blueberry Chutney
- Yield 32 servings
- Prep 20 mins
- Cook 30 mins
This chutney can be served warm or cold. It’s great as a snack on toast with a little mild cheese such as Brie or even cream cheese.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 small yellow onion, minced
- 1 tablespoon grated ginger
- 2 cups wild, frozen blueberries
- 1 cup red seedless grapes
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 -- bay leaf
- 1 -- cinnamon stick
- -- Zest of 1 lemon, white pith removed (cut in large strips with a small sharp knife)
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 4 teaspoons salt to taste
*Serving Suggestion: Serve with whole grain bread or toast top with toasted walnut halves.
Heat oil over medium heat in a medium saucepan. Add onion and ginger and cook until soft. Add all remaining ingredients except vinegar and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer until mixture thickens and reduces, about 30 minutes.
When chutney has thickened, stir in vinegar and season to taste with salt. Allow to cool and remove bay leaf, cinnamon and lemon zest. Store tightly covered in the refrigerator.
Makes about 2 cups.
Recipe Courtesy of Chef Jamie Lauren of Absinthe Brasserie and Bar, San Francisco