Whole Wheat Vegetable-Bean-Meat Burritos
- Yield: 10 pieces
- 1pound lean ground turkey
- 1-2cup chopped onions and green peppers
- 1cup cooked rice
- 1tablespoon taco seasoning
- 2cups cooked pinto beans (pureed ahead with 2 Tbsp water)
- 10 whole wheat tortillas
- Cook ground turkey in skillet until browned.
- Add onions and peppers and cook 2-3 more minutes, until tender.
- Add the cooked rice, taco seasoning, and the pureed pinto beans to hold it altogether.
- Spoon ¼ cup of the mixture into the center of a whole wheat tortilla. Top mixture with shredded lettuce and cheese (optional). Roll tortilla like a burrito.
- Place entire burrito on a hot skillet, sprayed with cooking spray, seam side down. Cook burrito on the seam, until it seals. Cook the other side to brown slightly.
- Cool burritos slightly and then wrap in wax paper, brown paper, or foil. Bring with you when you are on the go!
Source: Amy Roskelley shares healthy meal ideas and recipes at www.superhealthykids.com. After 4 years of having a goal to serve her kids each meal with half fruits and vegetables, the complaining is starting to slow down.