Whole-Wheat Soda Bread
- Yield 8 servings
"This is a very hearty bread that goes very nicely with soups. This is my most requested bread."
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons cold butter
- 2 cups whole-wheat flour
- 1/2 cup old-fashioned rolled oats
- 1 1/2 cups buttermilk
- Preheat oven to 375F. Grease a baking sheet.
- Combine all-purpose flour, sugar, soda and salt. Mix well. Cut in butter to blend. Stir in whole-wheat flour and oats.
- Make a well in the center and pour in buttermilk all at once. Mix with a fork until well blended.
- Turn out onto a floured board and knead 1 minute. Shape into a ball and set on baking sheet. Press into a 6-inch circle. Cut a cross in the top.
- Bake 40 minutes or until well browned and loaf sounds hollow when tapped on the bottom.
Recipe by Theresa Slemp, Afton, Tenn.