Whole-Wheat Penne with Mushrooms, Peas and Walnuts
- Yield 4 servings
A comfort dish from Liguria, along the northwest coast of Italy.
- 1 -- (12-ounce) box whole-wheat penne pasta
- -- Water
- -- Salt
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 cups button mushrooms, sliced
- 1 cup portobello mushroom chunks or whole baby portobello mushrooms with stems trimmed
- 3 -- garlic cloves, minced
- 1 -- anaheim, serrano or jalapeno pepper, seeded and minced
- 1 cup frozen or fresh peas
- 1/2 cup walnut pieces
- 1 cup shredded basil leaves
- -- Juice of 1 lemon
- 1/2 cup grated asiago, parmesan or romano cheese
- Cook pasta according to directions in plenty of boiling, salted water. Drain and rinse immediately in ice water to stop cooking process. Set aside.
- Heat oil in a large saute pan over high heat and add both varieties of mushrooms. Don't stir right away so they can brown. Let cook 2 minutes, then add garlic, chili peppers and peas. Saute 1 minute.
- Add cooked pasta, walnuts, basil, lemon juice and salt. Stir well to combine and top with cheese, if using.