Whole-Wheat Bran Pancakes
- Yield 14 pieces
- Prep 5 mins
- Cook 10 mins
For a break from syrup and butter, serve these protein-packed flapjacks with fruit and a drizzle of honey.
Who says pancakes can't be good for you? These whole grain wonders aren't too sweet and will start your morning off right, a tight pack of energy punch for the day ahead.
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup whole-wheat flour
- 1/2 cup wheat bran
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 -- eggs, lightly beaten
- 2 cups 2 percent reduced-fat milk
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted and cooled
- -- Nonstick cooking spray
- Whisk both flours, bran, sugar, baking powder and salt in a large bowl until uniform. Stir in eggs, milk and melted butter until fairly smooth. Batter will be thick.
- Spray a large skillet or griddle with nonstick spray and heat over medium heat. Working in batches, pour 1/4 cup batter per pancake into pan. Cook 2 minutes, until tops begin to bubble and edges look cooked. Flip, then cook until lightly browned and set, about 1 minute. Remove pancakes from skillet; repeat with remaining batter, spraying the pan between batches as necessary.
Recipe by Bruce Weinstein and Mark Scarbrough.