Whole Wheat Blueberry Muffins
- Yield 12 servings
- 2 very ripe large bananas
- 2 cups whole-wheat flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking sodea
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup plus 1 tablespoon light brown sugar
- 1 1/4 cups low-fat buttermilk
- 1 large egg
- 1/3 cup light olive oil
- 7 ounces blueberries, rinsed
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Peel the bananas and mash in a bowl, using a fork.
- Mix the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and 1/2 cup brown sugar together in a large mixing bowl. Make a well in the center and add buttermilk, egg, olive oil and mashed bananas. Fold the ingredients together until just incorporated. Gently stir in blueberries.
- Spoon the batter into 12 paper-lined muffin tins and sprinkle with 1 tablespoon brown sugar. Bake for 20 to 25 minutes until golden brown on top; a toothpick inserted into the center of the muffin should emerge clean. Cool in the pan for a couple of minutes, then transfer to a rack to cool completely.
Reprinted with permission from Gordon Ramsay’s Healthy Appetite: 125 Super-Fresh Recipes for a High-Energy Life by Gordon Ramsay (Sterling Epicure)