Whole-Wheat Banana Bread with Macadamia Nuts
- Yield 16 servings
- Prep 15 mins
- Cook 60 mins
Macadamia nuts are a tasty departure from pecans in this classic banana bread. Toss in a handful of coconut, too, if you have it handy.
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 eggs, slightly beaten
- 3 medium ripe bananas
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 cup chopped salted macadamia nuts
- Preheat oven to 350F and grease a 9-by-5-inch loaf pan.
- Cream butter with sugar. Add eggs, bananas and vanilla. Mix until blended.
- Dissolve baking soda in 2 tablespoons water and add to banana mixture. Process for a minute or so. Sift together the flours, salt and baking powder. Fold into banana mixture. Pour into loaf pan.
- Sprinkle macadamia nuts on top, gently pressing them in. Bake for 60 to 70 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
Reprinted with permission from Joan Nathan’s New American Cooking (Alfred A. Knopf, 2005).