Whole Wheat Banana Bread with Blueberry Glaze
- 3/4cup coconut oil
- 3/4cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1/2cup greek yogurt
- 1teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 1/2cups white whole wheat flour
- 1/2cup old fashioned oats
- 1teaspoon baking soda
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4teaspoon salt
- 1/2cup almond milk
- 3 ripe bananas
- Blueberry Swirl Syrup
- 3cups fresh blueberries
- 1/4cup sugar
- 1tablespoon fresh squeezed lemon juice
- 1/4teaspoon salt
- Blueberry Glaze
- 3-4tablespoons blueberry syrup
- 1cup powdered sugar
- Preheat oven to 350F. Butter and flour a loaf pan and set aside. In a large bowl beat the oil, sugar, and eggs until well combined. Mix in the yogurt and blend well. Add the vanilla.
- In a separate bowl mix together the flour, oats, baking soda, baking powder and salt. Slowly add the flour mixture to the wet ingredients and stir until just combined. Stir in the milk and bananas.
- Pour half the batter into the prepared loaf pan. Drop 3 teaspoons of the blueberry syrup (see below) on top of the batter. One at one end, one in the middle, and one at the other end. Using a wooden skewer, swirl the blueberry syrup into the batter. Pour the rest of the batter on top and drop 3 more teaspoons of the blueberry syrup on top and swirl.
- Bake for 55-60 minutes at 350F. Let cool completely before adding the glaze.
Blueberry Swirl Syrup
- In a saucepan, combine the blueberries, sugar, lemon juice, and salt. Bring mixture to a boil, then reduce heat to medium/low and cook until berries have released their juices and mixture has reduced a bit and becomes slightly thick. About 20-30 minutes. Stir frequently. Use a potato masher to help smash the berries, or simply use the back of a wooden spoon.
- Place a fine mesh strainer over a large bowl and pour the blueberry mixture into the strainer. Gently press on the solids with a spatula to extract all of the syrup then discard the solids. Allow the syrup to cool then use or store in the refrigerator.