Whole-Grain Spaghetti with Lemon, Basil, and Salmon
- Yield: 4 servings
- 1/2pound whole-wheat spaghetti pasta
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 2tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2teaspoon salt, plus more for seasoning
- 1/2teaspoon freshly ground black pepper, plus more for seasoning
- 1tablespoon olive oil
- 4 (4-ounce) pieces salmon
- 1/4cup chopped fresh basil leaves
- 3tablespoons capers
- 1 lemon, zested
- 2tablespoons lemon juice
- 2cups fresh baby spinach leaves
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil over high heat. Add the pasta and cook until tender but still firm to the bite, stirring occasionally, about 8 to 10 minutes.
- Drain pasta and transfer to a large bowl. Add the garlic, extra-virgin olive oil, salt and pepper.
- Meanwhile, warm the olive oil in a medium skillet over medium-high heat. Season the salmon with salt and pepper. Add the fish to the pan and cook until medium-rare, about 2 minutes per side, depending on the thickness of the fish. Remove the salmon from the pan. Add the basil, capers, lemon zest and lemon juice to the spaghetti mixture and toss to combine.
- Set out 4 serving plates or shallow bowls. Place 1/2 cup spinach in each bowl. Top with 1/4 of the pasta. Top each mound of pasta with a piece of salmon. Serve immediately.