Whole Grain Bran Muffins
- Yield: 12 servings
- Cooking Spray
- 1 3/4cups wheat bran or oat bran
- 1cup stone-ground whole wheat flour
- 1/4cup ground flaxseed
- 1teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2teaspoon salt
- 1cup low-fat Greek-style* or plain yogurt
- 3/4cup low-fat milk
- 1/2cup honey or maple syrup
- 2tablespoons olive oil
- 1large egg
- 1teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1cup crushed canned pineapple, drained
- 1/4cup chopped walnuts (or pecans)
- Preheat oven to 400 F. Coat 12 muffin cups with cooking spray.
- In a medium bowl, combine the bran, flour, flaxseed, cinnamon, baking soda, and salt. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl or in a blender, combine the yogurt, milk, honey or syrup, oil, egg, and vanilla extract and stir until smooth.
Make a well in the center of the flour mixture and pour in the yogurt mixture. Using a spoon, stir just until combined. Gently stir in pineapple and nuts. Do not overmix. Let stand for 10 minutes or until batter is very thick.
- Spoon batter into prepared muffin cups. Bake for 13- 15 minutes, or until the tops spring back when pressed gently in the centers. Cool in the pan on a wire rack for 10 minutes. Makes 12 muffins.
Adapted from Prevention Positively Ageless A 28-Day Plan for a Younger Slimmer, Sexier You © 2007 by Cheryl Forberg. Permission granted by Rodale, Inc., Emmaus, PA 18098.