Whole Enchilada Bake
- Yield: 8 servings
- 1 (16-ounce) container low-fat cottage cheese
- 1 (12-ounce) box frozen cooked, pureed winter squash, thawed and drained
- 2 large eggs
- 1 1/2teaspoons ground cumin
- 1teaspoon chili powder
- 1 (15-ounce) can enchilada sauce
- 12 (6-inch) corn tortillas, halved
- 2cups diced cooked chicken (12 ounces)
- 1 1/2cups frozen corn, thawed
- 1 1/2cups shredded reduced-fat Cheddar cheese
- Preheat over to 375F. Lightly oil or coat a 13 by 9-inch baking pan or dish with nonstick cooking spray and set aside.
- Mix together cottage cheese, squash, eggs, cumin and chili powder in a large bowl until well combined.
- Spread 1/3 cup enchilada sauce in prepared pan. Arrange 8 tortilla halves over sauce, overlapping slightly. Top with 1 cup squash mixture, 1 cup chicken, half the corn, 1/2 cup cheese and 1/2 cup enchilada sauce.
- Repeat layers: 8 tortilla halves, 1 cup squash mixture, 1 cup chicken, remaining corn, 1/2 cup cheese and 1/2 cup enchilada sauce. Top with remaining tortillas, squash mixture, enchilada sauce and 12 cup cheese.
- Bake, uncovered, about 35 minutes, until casserole is thoroughly heated and bubbly.
Reprinted with permission for Liz Weiss and Janice Newell Bissex’s No Whine with Dinner (M3 Press, 2011).
Nutritional Info *per serving
- Calories 290
- Fat 9g
- Sodium 710mg
- Carbohydrate 28g
- Fiber 3g
- Protein 28g