Whitewater Pan-Fried Trout Supper
- Yield: 4 servings
- 1/4cup vegetable oil
- 1/4cup fresh tarragon
- 1/4cup fresh lemon juice
- 2 (2-pound) trout, cleaned, dressed
- 1/2teaspoon salt
- 4 lemon slices
- Pepper (optional)
- Build a large fire.
- Combine the oil and tarragon in a skillet. Heat over low coals for 20 minutes or until the oil is infused with tarragon flavor. Remove the tarragon and discard. Stir in the lemon juice.
- Brush the inside of each trout with some of the flavored oil. Sprinkle with some of the salt and place 2 lemon slices inside each trout.
- Brush the outside of each trout with the flavored oil and sprinkle with salt. Season with pepper.
- Coat a grilling basket with nonstick cooking spray. Arrange the trout in the basket. Cook over hot coals, turning every 5 minutes until the fish flakes easily.
Recipe reprinted with permission from the Junior League of Eugene, Oregon, Cooking from the Coast to the Cascades (Junior League of Eugene, Oregon, 2002).