- Yield: 8 servings
- 8ounces fresh mushrooms, sliced
- 2tablespoons butter, melted
- 1/2cup dry white wine
- 1/2teaspoon dried tarragon
- 1/4cup (1/2 stick) butter
- 1/4cup flour
- 1/4teaspoon nutmeg
- Salt to taste
- 1/4teaspoon white pepper
- 2cups half-and-half
- 2cups chicken broth
- 8ounces uncooked lasagna noodles
- 5cups shredded cooked chicken breasts
- 12ounces Swiss cheese, shredded
- Saute the mushrooms in 2 tablespoons butter in a large skillet until light brown. Add the wine and tarragon and cook over medium heat until the liquid evaporates.
- Melt 1/4 cup butter in a small saucepan. Whisk in the flour, nutmeg, salt and white pepper. Cook for 1 to 2 minutes, stirring constantly.
- Remove from the heat and stir in the half-and-half and chicken broth gradually. Cook until thickened and smooth, stirring constantly. Stir in the mushrooms.
- Cook the noodles using the package directions; rinse with cold water and drain.
- Spread a thin layer of the sauce in a greased 9×13-inch baking dish. Layer the noodles, chicken, sauce and cheese 1/2 at a time in the prepared dish.
- Bake, uncovered, at 350 degrees for 40 to 50 minutes or until bubbly. Let stand for 5 minutes before serving.
Recipe reprinted with permission from the Junior League of Waterloo-Cedar Falls, Iowa, First Impressions, Dining with Distinction (the Junior League of Waterloo-Cedar Falls, Iowa, Inc., 2001).