- Yield: 10 servings
- Cooking spray
- 1/3cup butter, softened
- 1cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1/2teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1teaspoon ground ginger
- 2teaspoons finely grated fresh ginger
- 1/2teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1cup all-purpose flour
- 1teaspoon baking powder
- 1ounce crystallized ginger, chopped
- 1teaspoon turbinado or granulated sugar
- 1/4teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 350F. Coat an 11-by-7-inch baking dish with cooking spray.
- Cream together butter and sugar until fluffy. Beat in eggs and vanilla, ground and fresh ginger, and cardamom.
- Sift together flour and baking powder. Add to butter mixture and beat well. Scrape into prepared pan. Sprinkle crystallized ginger pieces over batter.
- Combine turbinado sugar and cinnamon and sprinkle over batter. Bake 25 to 35 minutes. The cake will be chewy, golden and fragrant and an inserted toothpick will test clean.
Variation: Place thin slices of a peeled apple over cake, along with crystallized ginger, before sprinkling with the cinnamon-sugar mixture.
Recipe by Crescent Dragonwagon