White Chili with Tomato Salsa
- Yield 6 to 8 servings
A low-fat chicken chili delled up with fresh salsa.
- 1 1/2 pounds boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into pieces
- 1 -- onion, quartered
- 8 cups water
- 1 -- onion, chopped
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 2 -- (15 1/2-ounce) cans great Northern beans, rinsed and drained, divided
- 4 cups chicken broth, reserved from cooking the chicken, divided
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 -- (4-ounce) can diced green chiles, drained
- 1 -- (14 1/2-ounce) can white sweet corn, drained
- -- Tomato Salsa (recipe follow), optional
- Tomato Salsa:
- 1 1/2 cups chopped tomato
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
- 1/2 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1/4 cup chopped red onion
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- To prepare chili: In a large pot, place the chicken pieces and the quartered onion. Cover with 8 cups of water and bring to a boil. Cook at a low boil for 20 to 30 minutes or until the chicken is tender. Reserve the broth, and cut the chicken into bite-size pieces. Dicard the onion.
- In a large pot coated with nonstick cooking spray, saute the chopped onion and garlic over a medium-high heat for 3 to 5 minutes or until tender, stirring constantly.
- In a food processor, place 1 can great Northern beans and 1 cup of the chicken broth and process until smooth. Add the smooth bean mixture, remaining can great Northern beans, remaining 3 cups chicken broth, chili powder, cumin, oregano, green chiles and corn to the pot with onion. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and cook for 20 to 30 minutes.
- To prepare the salsa: In a bowl, mix together the tomato, cilantro, garlic, red onion and sugar. Cover and refrigerate until ready to use. Serve with chili.