White Chicken Chili
- Yield: 6-8 servings
In a pinch? Use canned beans instead of dried. Add the canned beans along with the chicken stock and corn.
- 1 1/2pounds chicken thighs, skin and bones removed
- 2tablespoons canola oil
- 1medium onion, minced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 2teaspoons kosher salt
- 1/2 Mexican oregano
- 1teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2teaspoon ground coriander
- 1teaspoon ground guajillo chili powder
- 1teaspoon ground chipotle
- 6cups chicken stock
- 10ounces corn (thawed if frozen)
- 4cups small white navy beans (soaked overnight and precooked for 30-40 minutes)
- Optional Toppings:
- bunch cilantro, minced
- green onions, thinly sliced
- avocado, cut into medium sized pieces
- lime wedges
- Heat canola oil in a heavy dutch oven over medium heat. Add minced onion. Stir and continue to cook over medium heat until soft; about 5 minutes.
- While onion is cooking, cut chicken thighs into bite-sized pieces. Add chicken to onions, stir and cook over medium heat for 5 minutes.
- Add garlic and salt. Reduce heat; simmer for 1 minute. Add Mexican oregano, cumin, coriander, guajillo chili powder and chipotle.
- Add chicken stock and corn; stir to mix well. Bring to a boil then lower heat to a simmer and cook for 30 minutes. Add beans and cook for another 30 minutes or until thickened.
- Spoon into serving bowls, season with salt and pepper and serve with toppings.
—By Denise Woodward, Chez Us