White Chicken and Sherry Chili
- Yield 10 servings
A delicious version of chicken chili with the smooth flavors of Sherry and freshness of garlic, basil, and cilantro! A perfect meal for kids and parents alike.
- 4 quarts water
- 1 1/2 cups cream sherry
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 1/4 cup butter or margarine
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 -- garlic clove, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons fresh chopped cilantro
- 1 tablespoon fresh chopped basil, or 1/2 tablespoon dried
- 1/4 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 2 -- (16-ounce) cans Great Northern white beans
- 2 medium tomatoes, chopped
- -- Chopped cilantro
- -- Sour cream
- -- Blue corn tortilla chips
- Combine the water, sherry, salt and chicken in a stockpot. Bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce the heat to medium. Simmer, covered, for 20 minutes or until the chicken is cooked through. Remove the chicken to a platter. Chill, covered with plastic wrap, for 4 hours. Chill the stock, covered, in the refrigerator for 4 hours or until the fat congeals on the surface. Skim off the fat.
- Cut the chicken into bite-size pieces. Melt the butter in a large heavy saucepan over medium heat. Add the onion and garlic. Cook until tender. Stir in 3 cups stock, the chicken, cilantro, basil, chili powder, cloves and beans. Bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to medium. Simmer, covered, for about 1 hour, stirring occasionally.
- Ladle into individual soup bowls. Top each serving with the tomatoes, cilantro and sour cream. Serve with tortilla chips.
Recipe reprinted with permission from the Junior League of Pasadena, Inc.’s Dining By Design (Pasadena, California, 1999).