White Bean Soup
- Yield 1 servings
- 8 ounces small dried white beans (or 2 cans of any small white beans)
- 10 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 4 cups chopped veggies (onion, carrots, celery, cabbage, broccoli, red onions, green pepper, or other)
- 1 -- bay leaf
- 1 teaspoon italian seasoning
- 1 pinch cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 4 slices bacon (or 1/2 cup chopped ham)
Wash the dried beans and pick out any bad ones. Place beans in a bowl and cover generously with water. Cover with a lid and place in the fridge overnight.
The next day drain the beans and place in a large sauce pan. Cover generously with water and bring to a boil over high heat on the stove. When the beans begin to boil, cover and reduce heat to a med. low. Simmer for 1 hour.
At the same time chop the bacon and cook over medium heat until it begins to crisp up. It does not take much bacon to add a lot of flavor to this soup. Drain on paper towels.
Drain the beans and place in a crock pot. Add the bacon and all other ingredients. Stir well. Cook on low for 8-10 hours, or on high for 4 hours.