White Bean Kielbasa Soup
- Yield 6 to 8 servings
This nutritious and hearty soup is full of beans and greens.
- 2 cups finely chopped onions
- 2 cups sliced carrots
- 3 tablespoons chopped parsley
- 3 -- garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 teaspoon thyme
- 1 -- bay leaf
- 8 cups chicken broth
- 2 -- (15-ounce) cans Great Northern beans
- 1 -- red bell pepper, chopped
- 1 -- green bell pepper, chopped
- 2 cups chopped collard greens
- 1 pound kielbasa, sliced
- 1/4 cup (1/2 stick) butter
- Combine onions, carrots, parsley, garlic, thyme, bay leaf, broth, beans, bell peppers, collard greens, kielbasa and butter in a large saucepan and mix well. Cook over low heat for 1 hour. Discard the bay leaf. Ladle into soup bowls. Serve warm.
Recipe reprinted with permission from the Junior League of Tallahassee’s A Thyme to Celebrate(the Junior League of Tallahassee, Inc. Tallahassee, Florida 2009).