White Bean and Shrimp Burgers
- Yield 4 servings
- Prep 10 mins
- Cook 10 mins
A delicious change from the standard burger.
- 1 large garlic clove
- 8 ounces shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 2 cups cooked or canned white beans, well drained
- 1/4 cup roughly chopped chives or green onions
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon Freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 cup olive oil, or more as needed
- Combine garlic, 2 or 3 shrimp, and 1/2 cup white beans in a food processor and pulse until blended but not quite puréed, stopping the machine to scrape down the sides of the container as necessary. Add remaining shrimp and beans, chives, parsley, salt and pepper; pulse until mixture is roughly chopped and just combined.
- Shape into 4 patties and refrigerate at least 10 minutes or up to several hours.
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat. When hot, add patties and cook until browned, 5 to 10 minutes. Add more oil if the pan looks dry. Turn patties carefully and cook the other side until browned and the centers are firm and thoroughly cooked, about 5 minutes. Serve hot or at room temperature.
Recipe reprinted with permission from Mark Bittman’s The Food Matters Cookbook (Simon & Schuster, 2010).