White Bean and Basil Spread
- Yield 1 1/2 cups
Good alternative to traditional hummus. Great for picnics.
- 2 cups (15 ounces) cannellini or small white beans, drained
- 1 cup packed fresh basil leaves
- 1 to 3 clove garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Lemon juice to taste
- Grated lemon zest to taste
- Mash the beans in a bowl and stir in the basil, garlic, vinegar, olive oil, salt, pepper, lemon juice and lemon zest.
- Chill, covered, for up to one week.
- Serve with toasted Italian or whole wheat bread, toasted pita bread and/or assorted party crackers.
NOTE: The spread is much easier to make in a food processor but the end result is brownish in color. If processed in a blender, the end result is greenish in color.
Recipe reprinted with permission from The Junior League of Pasadena, Inc., California Mosaic, A Cookbook Celebrating Cultures and Cuisine (The Junior League of Pasadena, Inc. 2008)