Wheat Bran Coconut Granola
- Yield 8 cups
- Prep 5 mins
- Cook 30 mins
Easy baked granola is the perfect base for a take-along trail mix or morning cereal.
Add raisins or dried cranberries to this easy granola once it's cooled for a brighter taste. All in all, it's an easy morning starter or an afternoon pick-me-up over a bowl of plain yogurt. We used unsweetened coconut flakes, but you can use shredded as well.
- 4 cups old-fashioned oats (do not use steel-cut or quick-cooking)
- 1 cup wheat bran
- 1 cup unsweetened shredded coconut
- 1 cup chopped walnut pieces
- 1/2 cup firmly packed light brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup honey
- 1/2 cup canola oil, plus additional for greasing the pan
- 2 tablespoons 2 percent reduced-fat milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 325F. Lightly oil a large, rimmed baking sheet.
- Combine oats, wheat bran, coconut, walnuts, brown sugar, salt and cinnamon in a large bowl; stir well.
- Stir honey, oil, milk and vanilla in a small saucepan over low heat until mixture fizzes around the edges. Pour over oat mixture and stir well.
- Spread onto prepared baking sheet. Bake about 30 minutes, until lightly browned, stirring often. Place baking sheet on a wire rack and cool undisturbed until room temperature, about 1 1/2 hours. Break up and store in a large container at room temperature up to 1 month.
Recipe by Bruce Weinstein and Mark Scarbrough.