Weeknight White Bean Soup with Swiss Chard
- Yield 8 servings
- Prep 10 mins
- Cook 25 mins
Canned beans plus fresh chard and fennel shine in this warm, comforting soup.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 -- fennel bulb, chopped
- 3 -- leeks, thinly sliced (white part only)
- 2 -- (15-ounce) cans cannellini beans, rinsed and drained
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 6 cups reduced-sodium vegetable broth
- 1 -- bunch Swiss chard, coarsely chopped
- -- Baguette slices
- -- Shredded Gruyere cheese
- Heat olive oil in a Dutch oven. Add fennel and leeks; sauté 5 minutes. Add beans and broth. Bring to a simmer. If desired, mash some of beans with a potato masher to make a creamy consistency. Stir in Swiss chard. Cook 10 to 15 minutes, until chard is tender.
- Top baguette slices with cheese. Toast until cheese melts and bread is crispy. Serve with soup.