- Yield: 4 to 6 servings
The mild flavors and varied crunchiness of the celery, cucumber, radish, and watermelon blend together seamlessly, just as their colors create a beautiful mix of pinks and pale greens.
- For the Dressing
- 2tablespoons cider vinegar
- 1/2teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2teaspoon sugar
- 1/4cup extra-virgin olive oil
- For the Salad
- 2medium cucumbers (about 1 pound)
- 1/4small seedless watermelon (about 1 1/2 pounds)
- 4large stalks celery
- 5 red radishes
- 1/4cup roughly chopped fresh parsley
- 1/4teaspoon kosher salt, or more to taste
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Make the dressing: In a small bowl or cup, combine the vinegar, salt, and sugar and mix well to dissolve. Add the oil and whisk with a fork until emulsified.
- Make the salad: Peel the cucumbers and cut them in half lengthwise. Using a spoon, scoop out and discard the seeds. Cut into crescents 1/4 inch thick.
- Cut off and discard the watermelon rind. Cut the watermelon into 1-inch cubes; you should have about 3 cups.
- Peel the outside of the celery. Trim off and discard about 1 inch from the bottom of each stalk, then cut the rest into slices 1/4 inch thick. Reserve 1/2 cup of the pale tender celery leaves.
- Trim off and discard the ends of the radishes and cut them into very thin rounds.
- In a large bowl, combine the cucumbers, watermelon, celery, and radishes and add the parsley and the celery leaves. Drizzle with the dressing and toss well to combine. Season with the salt and pepper to taste. Toss again and serve.
Reproduced with permission from Modern Mediterranean: Easy Flavorful Home Cooking by Melia Marden; Stewart, Tabori & Chang; April 2013.