Watermelon Gazpacho with Cucumber and Red Pepper
- Yield 6 servings
A low-calorie cool, refreshing, fruity soup for the dog days of summer.
For an impressive presentation, hollow out a small watermelon and fill it with fruit gazpacho. Make some cinnamon-sugar croutons by tossing 1 cup plain bread cubes with 1 tablespoon brown sugar and 1 teaspoon cinnamon. Spread in a baking pan and bake in a 375F oven 10 to 12 minutes until golden brown. Sprinkle on top of soup as garnish.
- 8 cups chopped watermelon (seedless or seeds removed)
- 1 -- cucumber, peeled, seeded and chopped
- 1 -- red bell pepper, cored, seeded and chopped
- 2 cups apple, white grape, pomegranate or watermelon juice*
- -- Juice of 1 lemon
- 2 tablespoons chopped mint leaves
- 1/2 cup red or white wine (merlot, chardonnay, fume blanc, zinfandel or gewurtzraminer)
- Combine all ingredients including wine in a large nonreactive mixing bowl with a spoon. For a thicker version, place 2 cups of mixture in a blender or food processor fitted with the metal blade; puree 20 seconds until smooth. Fold puree back into bowl and combine well. Refrigerate at least 1 hour to blend flavors. Soup can be made the day before serving and stored covered in refrigerator.