Watercress, Golden Beets and Fennel Salad With Parmesan-Peppercorn Dressing
- Yield 6 servings
Fresh watercress adds a bit of spicy bite, and the creamy yogurt dressing rounds out the salad.
- Parmesan-Peppercorn Dressing:
- 1/2 cup 2-percent Greek-style yogurt
- 3/4 cup low-fat buttermilk
- 2 -- garlic cloves
- 1/4 cup minced fresh dill
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/8 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon fresh-ground black pepper
- 1 small head Boston or butter lettuce, separated into leaves
- 2 -- golden beets, peeled and grated or cut into matchsticks
- 2 large sun chokes, peeled and thinly sliced
- 1 medium fennel (anise) bulb, trimmed and thinly sliced
- 1 bunch watercress, heavy ends trimmed (about 1 1/2 cups)
- To make dressing: Combine all ingredients in a food processor fitted with the metal blade or a blender. Process or puree until smooth. Set aside.
- To make salad: Arrange lettuce leaves to cover a large plate or bowl.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the beets, sun chokes, fennel and watercress; toss lightly.
- You can toss the vegetables with the dressing now or drizzle it on at the end. Place the vegetables on the prepared plate or in the bowl. Drizzle with dressing if you didn't toss it with the vegetables.