Water Chestnut Bites
- Yield: 14 servings
"These Water Chestnut Bites were first served at a family wedding reception. Since then, they have been a staple in our home for all occasions - especially New Year's Day. Family members come early with the expectation of getting one hot out of the oven. The whole family gets involved - my father, husband, oldest son, and I would wrap the chestnuts while my mother prepared the sauce."
- 1pound bacon slices, cut into 3-inch pieces
- 3 (8-ounce) cans whole water chestnuts, drained
- 1cup packed dark brown sugar
- 1cup chili sauce
- 1/2cup mayonnaise
- Preheat the oven to 350F. Line a baking sheet with foil.
- Wrap a piece of bacon around each water chestnut and secure with a wooden pick. Arrange the water chestnuts on the baking sheet. Bake for 40 minutes, or until golden brown; drain.
- Combine the remaining ingredients in a medium bowl; mix well. Pour evenly over the water chestnuts and bake for 30 minutes longer, or until glazed.
- Remove the water chestnuts to a serving platter, reserving the sauce. Pour the sauce into a bowl and pass with the water chestnuts.
Recipe by Cora and Kandi David, Cassville, Pa.