Warm Potato Salad Nicoise
- Yield 6 servings
This is more than potato salad, it's a whole meal!
- Shallot Vinaigrette:
- 2 shallots, finely chopped
- 3 tablespoons white wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons whole grain mustard
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 16 ounces small red or white potatoes
- Salt to taste
- 6 ounces thin green beans
- Olive oil
- 8 ounces grape tomatoes
- 6 ounces Italian tuna in oil
- 4 anchovy fillets, chopped
- 2 tablespoons drained capers
- 1/4 cup black olives, pitted and cut into halves (optional)
- 1 large bunch basil
For the vinaigrette:
- Combine the shallots, vinegar, mustard, salt and pepper in a jar with a tight-fitting lid. Shake to mix. Add the olive oil and shake again.
For the salad:
- Simmer the potatoes in boiling salted water to cover for 15 minutes; drain. Let cool slightly. Cut into halves. Combine with the dressing in a salad bowl.
- Cook the green beans in boiling salted water for 2 minutes; drain. Add to the potatoes and toss to coat.
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Brush a baking sheet with olive oil. Combine the tomatoes with a small amount of olive oil and toss to coat. Roast on the baking sheet for 10 minutes. Add to the potatoes and toss to coat. Flake the tuna over the salad. Add the anchovy fillets, capers and olives and mix gently. Tear the basil leaves and scatter over the salad. Serve immediately.
Recipe reprinted with permission from the Junior League of Greater Fort Lauderdale, Inc., Paradise Servied, South Florida’s Culinary Destination (Junior League of Greater Fort Lauderdale, Inc., 2009)