Warm Lentil and Sausage Salad
- Yield: servings
- 1/2pound French lentils
- 1/4cup cognac
- 2tablespoons sherry vinegar
- 1teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 3/4teaspoon salt
- 2tablespoons olive oil
- 1/3cup walnut oil
- 1 small onion, quartered and separated
- 1/4pound arugula, washed and chilled
- 1/4pound sweet Italian turkey sausage
- 3tablespoons flat-leaf parsley, minced
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- Pick over and wash the lentils. Put them in a saucepan and cover with water. Bring pot slowly to a boil and drain. Cover the lentils again with 1 quart of fresh water and bring to a boil, skimming occasionally. Reduce heat and simmer for 20 minutes.
- Add the Cognac and continue to cook for about 10 more minutes, until the lentils are tender. Drain and discard the liquid. Store the lentils in a deep bowl.
- Meanwhile, combine the vinegar, mustard, salt and oils for the vinaigrette. Mix half of the vinaigrette and the onion with the lentils.
- Cover and store lentils in the refrigerator for a few hours, stirring occasionally.
- Just before serving, arrange the arugula on plates.
- Remove and discard the onions from the lentil mixture.
- Cook the sausage in a non-stick skillet until slightly browned. Slice the sausages and return them to the skillet with the lentils.
- Cook gently over moderate heat for about 1 minute. Add the parsley and remaining vinaigrette.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste. Divide the lentil mixture evenly on six plates.
Nutritional Info *per serving
- Calories 230
- Fat 19g
- Saturated Fat 2.5g
- Cholesterol 15mg
- Sodium 570mg
- Potassium 233mg
- Carbohydrate 10g
- Fiber 2g
- Sugars 0g
- Protein 8g