Warm Chickpea Salad with Spiced Mushrooms
- Yield: servings
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 10 oz. button mushrooms
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 red chile, seeded and chopped
- 14-oz. can chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 2 tablespoons ground cumin
- juice of 1 lemon
- 3/4 cup Greek or thick plain yogurt
- a large handful of mint, freshly chopped
- 8 oz. baby spinach
- salt and black pepper
- Heat 2 tablespoons of the oil in a skillet over medium heat. Add the mushrooms, season with salt, and cook until softened. Reduce the heat, then add the garlic, chile, and chickpeas. Fry for 2 minutes, then add the cumin and half the lemon juice. Cook until the juices in the skillet evaporate, then set aside.
- Put the yogurt in a bowl, then add the chopped mint and the remaining lemon juice and oil. Add salt and pepper and mix until blended. Divide the spinach between 4 plates, add the chickpea and mushroom mixture, then pour the yogurt dressing over the top and serve.
The Vegetarian Student Cookbook: Great Grub for the Hungry and the Broke. Ryland Peters & Small, www.rylandpeters.com. $16.95