Chicken and Chanterelle Salad
- Yield: servings
- Poached Chicken:
- -- (1) 1 1/2 pounds (3 to 4) boneless, skinless chicken breast halves
- -- (2) 1/4 cup kosher salt
- -- (3) 1/4 cup light brown sugar
- -- (4) 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- -- (5) 2 tablespoons sherry wine vinegar
- -- (6) 3 sprigs fresh rosemary
- -- (7) 1 teaspoon freshly cracked black pepper
- 6cups water
- Spiced Nuts:
- 2tablespoons light brown sugar
- -- (8) 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/4teaspoon kosher salt
- -- (9) 1/2 cup lightly toasted pine nuts or slivered almonds
- 1teaspoon + 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil, divided use
- -- (10) 4 slices thick cut, maple smoked bacon, diced (1/2 inch)
- -- (11) 1/2 cup peeled, thinly sliced shallots
- -- (12) 6 large garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- -- (13) 8 ounces bite size chanterelle mushroom pieces
- 3tablespoons sherry wine vinegar
- 1teaspoon light brown sugar
- -- (14) 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- -- (15) 1 large head frisee lettuce (about 12 oz.) torn in bite size pieces
- -- (16) 1 jar (2 oz.) chopped pimento, drained
- -- Salt and pepper to taste
Combine salt, sugar, oil, vinegar, rosemary, pepper and water in a large skillet; bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Add chicken, reduce heat to medium, and simmer, uncovered, for 5 minutes. Remove pan from heat; cover and let sit for 10 minutes, or until chicken is done. Transfer chicken to a plate and tent with foil. Set aside.
Meanwhile, melt brown sugar in a small frying pan set over medium heat. Stir in cayenne, salt and nuts. Stir with a fork until nuts are coated; transfer to a piece of wax paper coated with cooking spray and spread with a knife to form a single layer. Cool. Separate into pieces. Set aside.
Heat 1 teaspoon olive oil in a large, deep skillet or wok. Add bacon; saute over medium heat until golden brown, about 5 minutes. Remove bacon from pan and drain on paper towels. Pour bacon drippings into a custard cup. Return 2 tablespoons drippings to pan. Add shallots and saute over medium heat until tender and lightly browned, about 10 minutes. Add garlic and cook until fragrant, about 1 minute. Stir in chanterelles and saute until tender, about 5 minutes. Add vinegar, brown sugar and lemon juice; stir to combine and slightly reduce. Stir in reserved 1/4 cup olive oil and heat for 1 to 2 minutes.
To compose salad, slice chicken, crosswise, into 1/8-inch slices. Place frisee in a very large bowl. Add chicken, bacon, nuts and pimento; toss. Pour contents of skillet over salad; toss again to coat greens. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Yield: 4 to 6 servings.
Cook's Note: This festive salad is easy to prepare. It uses a total of 16 ingredients. It is best if eaten just after final assembly.