Warm Breakfast Grains with Dried Cherries and Toasted Pecans
- Yield 6 servings
In this unusual high-fiber, whole grain dish, coarse-ground bulghur takes a sweet turn. Left-overs can be reheated.
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 cup coarse-ground bulghur
- 2 1/4 cups 2% reduced-fat milk, plus
- 2 tablespoons dark honey
- 1 (3-inch) cinnamon stick
- 1 cup dried cherries
- 1/3 cup chopped toasted pecans or other nuts, toasted
- Heat oil in a 2-quart saucepan over medium heat. Add bulgur and toast lightly, stirring occasionally, about 3 minutes.
- Add milk and honey and stir well. Add cinnamon stick and heat over medium-high heat, but do not boil. Reduce heat to low and cover. Simmer, stirring occasionally, until the liquid is absorbed, 8 to 12 minutes. Remove from heat and stir in cherries and nuts. Serve warm, passing additional hot milk and berries if desired.
Recipe adapted from Stop the Clock Cooking: Defy Aging—Eat the Foods You Love © 2003 by Cheryl Forberg. Permission granted by Avery Publishing Group Inc.