Warm Bittersweet Chocolate Rum Torte
- Yield: 8 servings
- Prep: 25 mins
- Cook: 45 mins
- Vanilla Custard Sauce:
- 1 1/2cups half-and-half
- 3 egg yolks, lightly beaten
- 1/2cup granulated sugar
- 1/8teaspoon salt
- 2teaspoons vanilla extract
- 4ounces semisweet or bittersweet chocolate
- 3tablespoons dark rum
- 4tablespoons unsalted butter, room temperature
- 3/4cup granulated sugar, divided
- 4 eggs, separated
- 2tablespoons Dutch process cocoa
- 1/8teaspoon salt
- To prepare custard sauce, whisk together half-and-half, egg yolks, sugar and salt in a heavy saucepan. Cook over medium heat, stirring frequently, until thickened. Cool slightly and stir in vanilla. Cover tightly with plastic wrap and refrigerate several hours or overnight.
- Preheat oven to 300F. Coat bottom and sides of an 8-inch springform pan with cooking spray.
- To prepare torte, combine chocolate with rum in a small heavy saucepan. Set pan over very low heat and stir occasionally until chocolate melts and mixture is smooth (or melt in microwave).
- In a medium bowl, beat butter with a mixer on medium speed until smooth. Gradually add 1/2 cup sugar and beat 2 to 3 minutes or until smooth and fluffy. Add egg yolks and beat 1 minute. On low speed, beat in melted chocolate mixture (which may still be warm) only until thoroughly combined. Add cocoa and beat until incorporated.
- In another medium bowl, with clean beaters, beat egg whites with salt until soft peaks form. Gradually beat in remaining sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time, until stiff peaks form. 6. With a large rubber spatula, gently fold one-fourth of whites into chocolate mixture. Add remaining whites, folding gently. Spoon batter into pan.
- Bake 40 to 50 minutes. The torte will rise to the top of the pan during baking but will sink dramatically as it cools.
- To serve, remove sides of springform pan and cut with a sharp knife. Serve with custard sauce. VARIATION: To make a coffee-flavored torte, melt the chocolate with 3 tablespoons Kahlua instead of rum.
Recipe by Greg Patent.
Nutritional Info *per serving
- Calories 320
- Fat 14g
- Cholesterol 175mg
- Sodium 115mg
- Carbohydrate 42g
- Fiber 1g
- Sugars 40g
- Protein 5g