Warm Berry Compote
- Yield 4 servings
- Prep 2 mins
- Cook 1 mins
Capture fresh berries at their peak with a quick-and-easy compote.
Adding sugar to berries brings out their juices. Serve with cream or ice cream over biscuits for a warm fruit shortcake.
- 3 pints mixed berries (raspberries, strawberries, blueberries, huckleberries or blackberries)
- 1/3 cup sugar or maple syrup
- Clean and hull berries. Cut any large berries (strawberries) in half. Place in a skillet over medium-high heat. Sprinkle with sugar or syrup.
- Cook until berries are warm and soft and start to lose their juice, 1 to 2 minutes. Remove from heat and put in a bowl.
- As they sit, their juices will continue to come out and the flavors will open.
Recipe adapted from Deborah Madison’s Local Flavors: Cooking and Eating From America’s Farmers’ Markets (Broadway Books, 2002).