Warm Beet Salad with Red Onion, Mint and Pistachios
- Yield 4 servings
Crunchy pistachios and aromatic mint add flavor to this warm beet salad. Serve as a side or have a full meal by adding feta, shrimp or chicken.
Add crumbled feta or goat cheese to this warm salad.
- 4 medium beets, with greens (combination of red and golden)
- 2 teaspoons sherry vinegar, divided
- 1 small red onion, peeled
- 1 cup water
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh mint
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oi
- 1 teaspoon coarse salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 cup coarsely chopped toasted pistachios
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- Cut off beet stems and greens and set aside. Place beets in baking dish with enough water to cover the bottom. Cover with foil and bake about 1 hour, until beets can be easily pierced with a knife. Remove from oven; let cool. Peel and discard skins and cut beets into wedges or slices. (You may want to place red beets in one bowl and golden in another). Drizzle 1 teaspoon sherry vinegar over beets (half in each bowl). Toss to coat and set aside.
- Wash and coarsely chop beet greens and place in colander. Slice onion into thin rounds and place over greens in colander. Bring 1 cup of water to a boil and pour over greens and onion. Drain well and pat dry. Transfer to bowl and add mint and beets. Drizzle with remaining 1 teaspoon sherry vinegar and olive oil. Add salt and pepper. Toss to evenly coat; top with chopped pistachios.
Recipe reprinted with permission from Terry Walters’ Clean Start: Inspiring You to Eat Clean and Live Well (Sterling Publishers, 2010).
Note: To slice beets, use the slicing blade of a box grater.