Warm Asparagus, Shiitake Mushrooms, Tofu Croutons over Arugula
- Yield: 4 servings
Most supermarkets carry all of the ingredients in this recipe. Marinated tofu can be found in most natural food stores, as well. You may substitute regular firm tofu.
- Crispy Five Spice Sesame Croutons
- 1teaspoon sesame oil, dark roasted
- 1 (7-ounce) package marinated tofu, cubed
- 1/2teaspoon five spice powder
- 1tablespoon sesame seeds
- 1tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1large shallot, minced
- 1pound slender asparagus cut in 1-inch lengths on the bias
- 1cup shiitake mushrooms, stems removed, sliced thinly
- 2teaspoons crushed red chili flakes
- 1tablespoon low-sodium soy sauce or tamari
- 2teaspoons mirin
- 2teaspoons rice vinegar
- 1 (7-ounce) bag baby arugula or field greens
- Preheat oven to 400F.
- To prepare the tofu croutons: Place all ingredients for tofu croutons in a bowl and mix well. Spread out on a baking pan lined withparchment paper and bake for 20 minutes, turning occasionally until golden brown and crispy. Remove from oven and set aside.
- To prepare the salad: Heat the oil in a large non-stick pan over high heat. Add shallots, asparagus and mushrooms. Saute for 5 to 7minutes, stirring frequently until vegetables are lightly browned and tender. Add the red chili flakes, soy sauce or tamari, mirin and rice vinegar and continue to saute for 1 minute longer. Remove from flame and set aside.
- Pile arugula on a large plate. Arrange the sauteed vegetables and tofu croutons over the greens and serve.
- If desired, you can drizzle a little sesame oil and rice vinegar over the greens for additional vinaigrette.
Nutritional Info *per serving
- Calories 134
- Fat 9g
- Saturated Fat 1g
- Cholesterol 0mg
- Sodium 154mg
- Carbohydrate 8g
- Fiber 3g
- Sugars 3g
- Protein 8g