Warm Asparagus, Shiitake Mushrooms, Tofu Croutons over Arugula
- Yield 4 servings
A perfect combination of fresh asparagus and earthy mushrooms.
Most supermarkets carry all of the ingredients in this recipe. Marinated tofu can be found in most natural food stores, as well. You may substitute regular firm tofu.
- Crispy Five Spice Sesame Croutons
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil, dark roasted
- 1 (7-ounce) package marinated tofu, cubed
- 1/2 teaspoon five spice powder
- 1 tablespoon sesame seeds
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 large shallot, minced
- 1 pound slender asparagus cut in 1-inch lengths on the bias
- 1 cup shiitake mushrooms, stems removed, sliced thinly
- 2 teaspoons crushed red chili flakes
- 1 tablespoon low-sodium soy sauce or tamari
- 2 teaspoons mirin
- 2 teaspoons rice vinegar
- 1 (7-ounce) bag baby arugula or field greens
- Preheat oven to 400F.
- To prepare the tofu croutons: Place all ingredients for tofu croutons in a bowl and mix well. Spread out on a baking pan lined withparchment paper and bake for 20 minutes, turning occasionally until golden brown and crispy. Remove from oven and set aside.
- To prepare the salad: Heat the oil in a large non-stick pan over high heat. Add shallots, asparagus and mushrooms. Saute for 5 to 7minutes, stirring frequently until vegetables are lightly browned and tender. Add the red chili flakes, soy sauce or tamari, mirin and rice vinegar and continue to saute for 1 minute longer. Remove from flame and set aside.
- Pile arugula on a large plate. Arrange the sauteed vegetables and tofu croutons over the greens and serve.
- If desired, you can drizzle a little sesame oil and rice vinegar over the greens for additional vinaigrette.